My Blog List

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Traveling Tome Returns to Home


Now back in the states, I quickly acclimate to piles of laundry and desk work.  The regular routine rapidly returns, and the Chile trip soon will be a great collection of ministry, memories and photographs.  What a blessing.

Even on the last morning, we fine-tuned items in the library and turned over passwords, instructions, and flash drives to Sharon, Kathy, Linda, Leslie, and Bob.  The Rubins provided a delicious last-lunch-in-Chile, one of the traditional dishes--cazuela, and we all had a good meal together there at the school.

Our trip home, thanks to prayers and pilots, went smoothly and was slightly ahead of schedule on both legs. Getting through the Atlanta customs and immigration was long and seamless--although at immigration, the agent did grill me more than usual (Where do you live in the US? How long were you in Chile? What were you doing in Chile? What type of volunteer work? etc.) The other two ladies got "Have a nice day." Hmm.

Anyway, apparently I seemed harmless and they let me through to the good-ol-USA.  All our luggage arrived, and our rides picked us up on the other side.  Colleen picked me up and we drove straight to the Dayton VA medical center so I could give hubby a hug.

On the way home, Colleen asked me, "So, what was the highlight of the trip?" That came quickly to my mind -- absolutely the people.  Even though I love the work of organizing and cataloging all those great books, what makes these trips special is the people -- three groups specifically.

First of all, the kids for whom we do the service.  I have a special place in my heart for missionary and third-culture kids.  Mostly from having worked with and loved so many of them (four of them being my own, of course). MKs and TCKs go through a lot of different journeys than many do, and through any service the Lord has me share with them, I am blessed.

The second group of people--the ABWE Chile team.  This bunch of people offers so much to so many. They sacrifice on the field and pull together to get every job done even if they were not originally the ones planning on doing that "every job."  Plus, they offer so much hospitality and care to those who come to minister with them.  Huge blessing.

Lastly, the people that make this ministry SO great are the members of the team.  Last year with Ginger working with us, and this year with Debbie--how I appreciated getting to know both of them.  Along with Dr. Beverly Monroe--all of them work diligently and with shared responsibilities and with vision of a ministry completed for the kingdom and its people.

I love getting to know these women better, and what a privilege to work together. THANK YOU, each of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment